Fiber internet, also called fiber optic internet, gives people the ability to browse online via data transferred through glass or plastic fibers via light.
Here’s what you need to know about fiber internet:
- Fiber internet is the fastest internet option currently on the market for most residential and commercial users. This is because it does not suffer from the usual throttling issues present with copper-based or digital subscriber line (DSL) internet.
- Fiber internet is best for high-volume data users who need fast download and upload speeds. Examples of high-volume data users include gamers, streamers, remote workers and cord-cutting households where several different users are watching their own streaming content at the same time.
- Fiber internet has increased bandwidth compared to copper cable internet solutions, so you can experience higher quality internet connection across multiple devices.
Benefits of Fiber Internet
Fiber internet is a key player in online communications because it provides fast, efficient data transfer to households and businesses. Users benefit from its reliability, increased bandwidth and secure data transfer without compromising the quality of the internet connections.
- Multi-Device Connections: With high bandwidth and low latency connections, fiber internet offers incredible value to multi-device households in Oregon and Northern California.
- Speed: Fiber internet utilizes a data connection that travels at nearly the speed of light. This is possible because of the fiber optic cables that allow for speedy data transmissions. Internet speeds with fiber optic connections may be up to 20 times faster than those of copper base internet, such as DSL.
- High-Quality Internet Connections: Fiber internet has low latency, low lag and high bandwidth. This means that users can download and upload data without worrying about throttling or delayed speeds. This allows for higher-quality internet connections overall.
- Reliability: Fiber internet has high reliability because fiber optic cables are not prey to interference. This means that electrical interference and weather interference is unlikely to compromise your data connection.
Who Is Fiber Internet Best For?
Fiber internet benefits those who need scalability in their internet connections. This includes people who want to use multiple devices, gamers, households that stream a lot of content and businesses that share large email attachments or access cloud-based software like Dropbox and video conferencing apps.
Scalability in your internet connections can improve business productivity, add leisure searching satisfaction and reduce hiccups related to a lack of available bandwidth.
Fiber internet is best for:
- Remote workers
- Multi-device households
- Companies using cloud-based apps
- Frequent streamers who want high-quality video
- People who want more secure data transmission
You can use fiber to improve the connection quality without sacrificing speed or running into issues with throttling or latency. Fiber optic internet is a solution if you’re looking to maximize your internet use while maintaining upload and download speeds.
Is Fiber Internet Better Than Wi-Fi?
Fiber internet and Wi-Fi are not mutually exclusive – you can have both. Fiber optic cables historically provide faster data transfer speeds than Wi-Fi, but not every user will notice this difference in performance.
If you spend most of your time online doing casual browsing like Google searching, social media or Amazon shopping, fiber internet may not feel any different than a wireless connection. However, if you or members of your household spend time online gaming, streaming or using cloud-based software, having a Wi-Fi network connected to fiber internet may significantly reduce lag.
Fiber internet excels in being scalable, fast and secure. This means that you can upload and download large files quickly. Someone could be gaming in one room while another person gives a Zoom presentation, and neither user will have to deal with lag or issues buffering their content.
Scalable, fast and reliable fiber optic internet allows you to maximize the number of people who are connected simultaneously, without compromising the quality of your internet connection.
Stay Connected With Fiber Internet by Hunter Communications
Hunter Communications offers high-speed, fiber optic residential internet service to Oregon and Northern California residents. We have multiple internet packages to suit your needs and can help you decide which one is best for you.